users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Using Custom bindings to generate small classes for big schem as

From: George Richard Russell <George.Russell_at_cis.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:03:16 +0100

Katz Guy wrote:
> Hi;
> I was pointed to the non goals of the spec to a specific item:
> "NON GOALS:
> Provide partial binding of an XML content root to a Java
> representation, skipping descendants of the XML content root that
> are not relevant to the task at hand.
> If there is only a partial binding of all non-optional XML elements
> reachable from an XML element, it would no longer be possible to
> roundtrip the data back to its original XML content form. Partial
> mapping results in a one-way trip from the XML to a Java
> representation. There would be no marshal method from a Java
> representation back to XML since in general it would not be possible to
> produce a valid XML content from a partial Java representation of the
> XML content root and its descendants."
>
> I guess in my case I need only one way mapping (Object to XML only) so
> this is quite a limitation for me.

There are other binding tools which support this partial binding. The
one with which I am familiar is SNAQue, from Strathclyde University. See
http://www.cis.strath.ac.uk/research/snaque/

> I also found this:
> "Formally describing support for binding an existing JavaBean class
> to schema.
> The feature will be considered for a future release but it was considered
> out of scope for this release."
>
> Can someone elaborate on this matter. What exactly was it supposed to
> do? It seems that I could have used this also because Value Objects are
> simple java beans.

The type, its naming and structure i.e. field types, can be used to
guide the extraction of data from XML into instances of the type.

HTH
George Russell