users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Compiler API

From: Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East <Ryan.Shoemaker_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:32:08 -0400

Franklin, Brian wrote:
> Are there any plans to provide a standard interface to the binding compiler?
>
> I have come across the need to have programmatic access to JAXB's binding
> compiler.
> Currently, the two best ways I've found to pull this off are to use XJCTask
> or to access
> the Driver class directly. Obviously, any current approach is
> provider-specific. It would be helpful
> if there were some sort of standard interface.

Agreed, but this would have to be a decision reached by the expert group. I'll
ask the spec guys to consider this feature for the next version of the spec.

> It seems that a similar need has arisen in the core Java community,
> evidenced
> by the existence of JSR-199 (Java Compiler API).

It's too bad that JSR-199 wasn't ready last year - we could have used it ourselves
in the RI to optionally produce compiled java code from xjc instead of just source.

--Ryan