users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Configuration/Customization

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:46:17 -0800

> The XML file has the <services/> and <vhosts/> tags, which contain
> <service/> and <vhost/> tags respectively. It is expected that there
> will be 50+ of each of these, which is why they are wrapped -- to keep
> the XML looking clean. Is your suggestion to remove the other tags?

I think if I were designing the vocabulary, I would do it either way. I
don't think having a wrapper like <services> or <vhosts> will keep XML
looking clean. For example, WSDL doesn't have wrapper elements like
<ports> or <operations> but IMO it doesn't make any difference in its
readability.

I would rather prefer arbitrary hierarchical grouping, something like:

    <!ELEMENT pandoraConfig ((service|vhost|div)*)>
    <!ELEMENT div ((service|vhost|div)*)>

which allows you to group a bunch of things together and associate some
information (like comment or documentation with it.) Not sure if this
makes sense with your domain model.

In any case, it's your choice.

> Is your suggestion to remove the other tags?

I'm not particularly suggesting anything. I found that there's no
customization that lets you do what you want to do, but I wanted to
provide some way to do it. That's all.

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                  408-276-7063 (x17063)