users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Minimal set for JNLP

From: Malachi de AElfweald <malachi_at_EOTI.ORG>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:17:25 -0700

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:48:48 +0100, Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer_at_virgil.nl> wrote:
>Malachi de AElfweald wrote:
>I have no clue what JNLP stands for :-) but the minimal set [*] of
>libraries at runtime are with J2SE 1.4 jaxb-api.jar, laxb-libs.jar and
>jaxb-ri.jar a total of 1.14 MB.
>
>However the size of the models generated are very large, and while I
>speak of it, are there plans to reduce the size the size of the
>generated code. I think there is room for some squeezing.
>
>[*] The current license states however that much more libraries have to
>be distributed, most of them are for J2SE below 1.4 or the xjc tool. But
>Sun will allow us in the near future to redistrubute a limited set of
>libraries, exact terms I leave over to them.

JNLP is the Java Network Launching Protocol. Basically, the newest replacement for the Java PlugIn. All of my apps require JDK 1.4 anyways, because I use the new methods (like String.split)...

I don't the licensing issue would come into play (since it distributes more like an Applet), as long as the necessary files were on the server. Does that sound right to everyone?

Malachi