dev@jax-ws.java.net

Re: Possible bugs in MtomEncoder?

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:22:40 -0800

Paul Sandoz wrote:
> Not yet :-) I see that UTF-8 is a hard-coded assumption throughout the
> code :-(

I think we don't have to support it everywhere, but if there are places
we can support non UTF-8 encoding cheaply/easily, then there's no reason
not to.

Like, if we are using StAX for writing, then it shouldn't be that
difficult to support other encodings.

> I am thinking from the perspective of Japanese or Korean clients that
> want to produce SOAP messages encoded in UTF-16 for efficiency reasons.

I can tell you that UTF-16 is almost never used when I was there.
Instead, we sometimes want to use Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, and alike so that
we can see Kanji characters without running it through the encoding
converter (and avoid certain ambiguity in the code conversion, for some
people.)

But I don't think it's too urgent. I think this is one of those things
we should list in the help wanted page and wait for someone to volunteer.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi