users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Proposed Plan

From: Santiago Pericasgeertsen <santiago.pericasgeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 09:37:23 -0400

Hi Julian,

>>> Are we sure this standard is being used? Its been more than a year (two?) since we've argued over it. Anybody know what is winning the "push" protocol wars?
>>
>> I’m not sure what “war” you are referring to. SSE is the only standard for this. Of course, there are other techniques like long polling, etc. but those are just clever hacks more than anything else.
>
> HTTP/2 server push (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7540.html#PushResources>).

 This is much lower level support than SSE and I’m not aware of any browser API for it like there is for SSE. I think of this as being infrastructure-level rather than application-level. Maybe SSE can be routed this way when HTTP/2 becomes ubiquitous, but we are talking about an API here that would work regardless of how the bits are transported.

> And even Websockets…

 WS is not just push, although you can use it that way. We already have an API in EE for that; however, it’s completely unrelated to JAX-RS because it is not request-response and it is bidirectional and, other than the handshake, not related to HTTP. If you just need push, it is a lot simpler to use a JAX-RS extension for SSE (like Jersey’s), and you can co-locate your logic with other resources.

— Santiago