users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Proposed Plan

From: Santiago Pericasgeertsen <santiago.pericasgeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:56:56 -0400

Hi Bill,

 Thanks for responding. Bear in mind that all these features are in the original charter submitted to the JCP, so we are not questioning their merit so much as prioritizing them.

> On 10/5/2015 9:31 AM, Santiago Pericasgeertsen wrote:
>> Dear Experts,
>>
>> After a discussion with Marek, and mainly due to the slowness of the
>> JSR thus far, I’d like to propose that we prioritize on what we consider
>> the main features of the 2.1 release (in hindsight, we may have included
>> too many features for a dot release!):
>>

> Sorry I've been AFK from list...
>
>> (1) Reactive API
>
> What's this?

 Better support for async for the Client API. Programming async is hard using callbacks and Futures, especially when multiple async invocations need to be combined, composed, etc. CompletableFuture in JDK 8 and other APIs our there (e.g., RxJava) address this.

>> (2) Non-blocking I/O
>
> I don't remember the proposals here. IMO, we need to be careful that we're writing something to scale REST invocations better and not something to write some hacked protocol tunneled over HTTP.

 This would in the spirit of the existing StreamingOutput extension. I’ll send a proposal.

>> (3) SSE
>
> Are we sure this standard is being used? Its been more than a year (two?) since we've argued over it. Anybody know what is winning the "push" protocol wars?

 I’m not sure what “war” you are referring to. SSE is the only standard for this. Of course, there are other techniques like long polling, etc. but those are just clever hacks more than anything else.

— Santiago