users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: [jsr339-experts] Re: JAX-RS 2.1 JSR

From: Michel Graciano <michel.graciano_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:07:07 -0300

Hi people,
I am usually here in read-only mode, but today I want to add some
thoughts on this Java version discussion if you allow me. Since we are
talking about Java EE 8, so AFAIK it is scheduled to Q3 2016, 2 years
from now, which gives mostly 3 years of Java 8. If Java EE 8 does not
ask for Java 8 now, probably it will happen maybe just at Java EE 9,
which could be release 3 or 4 years after Java EE 8, which means Java
8 will be around 6 years old. The question here IMHO is if it a issue
or not.

Personally speaking I prefer to see a updated spec already taking use
of the new Java 8 APIs.

In the case where EG choose Java 7 as the version to go, I believe at
least some good practices, as described in this article for example
[1], could be followed to allow people whom are already using Java 8
to keep using the new stuff, as well making a future upgrade of this
spec to Java 8 possible, but in the same time keep compatible with
Java 7.

Best regards
[1] http://java.dzone.com/articles/api-designers-be-careful

--