users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Digest for list users_at_jax-rs-spec.java.net (2/2)

From: Leonardo Uribe <lu4242_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:35:40 -0500

Hi

KM> I've heard that Spring MVC developers are using Thymeleaf, but I don't
KM> know prevalent that is, and I don't know how it compares to Facelets.

Thymeleaf does something very similar to what Facelets does. It parses XML
files to build a view and then render it. It is supposed to be the
replacement for JSP for Spring MVC users, because it has improved
templating support. This is how a file with Thymeleaf looks like:

      xmlns:th="http://www.thymeleaf.org">
<head th:include="layout/header :: header">
</head>
   <form method="post" th:action="${'home.do'}" th:object="${loginForm}">
      <input th:field="*{username}" style="width: 175px;"/>
           th:text="${#fields.errors('username')}"></div>

It looks similar to facelets. There is a namespace, and the attributes marked
with this namespace has some special behavior over the final markup. The
thing is everything that you can see here can be done just doing some small
changes over Facelets. Keep in mind that JSF/Facelets is a lot faster than
Thymeleaf, so a solution using pure JSF/MyFaces could perform faster than
the combination Spring MVC/Thymeleaf.

Looking this syntax you have the impression that what we really need is make
Facelets more extensible, so we can plug custom namespaces with custom special
attributes, but please note there is some integration between the template
engine and the front controller (to get the loginForm object, the fields ...)
that needs to be done. Take Facelets out of JSF is nonsense, instead make
Facelets more pluggable makes a lot of sense.

AT> One aspect of the discussion is that when using Facelets supposedly
AT> separately, you'll still be using components and JSF. Facelets uses
AT> UIComponentBase which uses things like the FacesContext and other
AT> infrastructure that has been set up by the FacesServlet.

Yes, Facelets and any template engine you can imagine requires the same
plumbing, no matter how you name it.

AT> An other aspect is that components actually DO work when using Spring MVC
AT> with Facelets, but only the ones that render something and don't depend
AT> on a postback. So practically Bauke is correct and giving any other answer
AT> would only confuse people on SO, but technically it's more subtle than
AT> that. There are indeed components that don't post anything back, like
AT> e.g. h:panelGroup or p:graphicImage. We (Bauke and I among others) build
AT> the public part of http://m4n.nl in that way; it uses Facelets for view
AT> compositing and components, but no components that postback anything.

Any html markup in facelets is backed by a UILeaf component that at the end
extends from UIComponent, and UILeaf is a component that just renders markup,
but doesn't have any behavior in a postback.

AT> The downside is that the view thus needs to be available for processing
AT> the submitted data, and that there are concerns about the memory and cpu
AT> resource drain involved with that. While this may be an issue to some
AT> degree, I saw some interesting research from Leonardo where despite not
AT> needing the original view to process postbacks, Spring MVC still put more
AT> pressure on the garbage collector.

The evidence suggest that you cannot really save a lot of memory/cpu using
an action source framework, because JSF can execute the tree traversal very
quickly, and there are other things that has more weight over the request
like render the page and so on. An action source framework needs to do some
processing that is comparable at every request, and that puts more pressure
over memory, because JSF algorithm can use memory more efficiently. So, a
solution using Spring MVC/JSP uses 40% more memory than a solution using
JSF/MyFaces.

AT> But the fact that the view needs to be available is the biggest challenge
AT> of making JSF compatible with action oriented concepts for the postback.
AT> The initial GET is no problem at all, and is already done in a kind of
AT> hybrid way by today's view action and in a more pure action oriented way
AT> by both Manfred's and Leonardo's prototypes (and in fact by a prototype
AT> I experimented with myself some time ago but never published)

Yes, in some situations, you don't need to build the view, but you need the
context to grab some data directly from the beans. In this scenario,
use an action oriented approach make sense.

Leonardo Uribe

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Comparing StackOverflow and JAXEnter (where the Vaadin numbers seem overly
>> high, most others look representative) StackOverflow analysis tells a
>> slightly different story.
>>
>> Even more enlightning is another StackOverflow answer to
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18744910/using-jsf-as-view-technology-of-spring-mvc
>>
>> >You can use Spring MVC with JSP view technology. You can also use Spring
>> > MVC with Facelets view technology. But you can not use Spring MVC with JSF
>> > components let alone >with JSF component libraries like PrimeFaces. This is
>> > not making any sense. If you want to use the same UI as PrimeFaces, just
>> > grab jQuery UI. It's also exactly what PrimeFaces >is using under the
>> > covers. PrimeFaces is a jQuery-based JSF component library.
>

> Just to clarify, PrimeFaces is not related to jQuery UI except for the CSS
> selectors used by ThemeRoller. Almost all of the components use custom JS
> that use jQuery underneath (not jQuery UI) with, of course, the JSF
> integration layer (there may be a couple that wrap jQuery UI plugins, but
> that's out of like 100 components).
>
> I've heard that Spring MVC developers are using Thymeleaf, but I don't know
> prevalent that is, and I don't know how it compares to Facelets.
>>

>> So essentially Spring MVC can at least use Facelets, the same underlying
>> (preferred and after EE 7 sole) document format JSF, does, too, and it would
>> be interesting to see stats on that, needless to say, JSP was also a Java EE
>> standard, Spring picked up and mixed into its basket of Java standards and
>> proprietary or home-grown technologies.
>>
>> Another part of that answer "PrimeFaces is a jQuery-based JSF component
>> library." makes clear, that http://devrates.com figures are misleading, not
>> to say "bullshit". They measure individual projects, in most cases simply on
>> a "repository" level, so it's up to project owners and funders, how modular
>> they define these. PrimeFaces, RichFaces (or OpenFaces) may be separate
>> projects, but they are both component libraries for JSF, hence a figure for
>> JSF should combine the two (and maybe more) resulting in a clear lead for
>> JSF there, too;-)
>>
>> Werner
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM, <users-request_at_jax-rs-spec.java.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Table of contents:
>>>
>>> 26. [jax-rs-spec users] Re: [jsr339-experts] MVC - arjan tijms
>>> <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
>>> 27. [jax-rs-spec users] Re: [jsr339-experts] MVC - Santiago
>>> Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
>>> 28. [jax-rs-spec users] Re: [jsr339-experts] MVC - arjan tijms
>>> <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
>>> 29. [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Hypermedia for structural links - Ivan
>>> Junckes Filho <ivanjunckes_at_gmail.com>

>>> JSF (16%)
>>> Grails (15%)
>>> Play! (10%)
>>> Wicket (8%)
>>> ZK (7%)
>>> Spring MVC (6%)
>>> GWT (5%)
>>> Ruby on Rails (3%)
>>> Lift (2%)
>>> JAX-RS (Jersey) (2%)
>>> Struts (1%)
>>> Tapestry (1%)
>>> Flex (1%)
>>> Stripes (1%)
>>> Spring Roo (0%)
>>> Roma (0%)
>>> JavaFX (0%)
>>> Click (0%)
>>> Anderes (4%)
>>>
>>> (see
>>> http://it-republik.de/jaxenter/news/Und-das-populaerste-Webframework-ist...-060497.html)
>>>
>>> Based on the outcome of this survey, it should thus be Vaadin that is
>>> considered the most popular UI technology, although not by a great margin.
>>> As you can see, JSF is right behind it at number 2. Spring MVC suddenly
>>> doesn't seem to be the most popular one at all with only 6% of the votes.
>>>
>>> In the OIO compass, the result was as follows:
>>>
>>> JSF (32%)
>>> Spring MVC (16%)
>>> GWT (16%)
>>> Grails (8%)
>>> Struts 2 (8%)
>>> Other (21%)
>>>
>>> (see
>>> http://www.oio.de/public/java/java-web-frameworks-vergleich/jsf-vs-gwt-studie.htm#a13)
>>>
>>> This time it's thus JSF that wins by a large margin.
>>>
>>> If we take a look at the results of http://devrates.com (a website
>>> dedicated to measuring technology popularity), we currently see the
>>> following results for Java frameworks:
>>>
>>> Grails (9.3)
>>> PrimeFaces (8.8)
>>> Vaadin (8.5)
>>> Play (8.2)
>>> Tapestry (8.2)
>>> Struts (7.5)
>>> RichFaces (7.6)
>>> Wicket (7.6)
>>> GWT (7.2)
>>>
>>> According to this list it's thus Grails that's the most popular. For some
>>> reason Spring MVC isn't even there. PrimeFaces (which thus implies JSF) is
>>> at number 2.
>>>
>>> Over to stackoverflow.com, where we currently see the following activity
>>> measured in total number of questions:
>>>
>>> JSF (31503)
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/jsf+or+jsf-2+or+primefaces
>>> Spring MVC (17956) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/spring-mvc
>>> Grails (16600) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>>> GWT (16399) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/gwt
>>> Struts (10649)
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/struts+or+struts2
>>> Play (9998)
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/playframework-2.0+or+playframework
>>> Wicket (2294) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/wicket
>>> Vaadin (1547) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vaadin
>>> Tapestry (662) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/tapestry
>>>
>>> According to this list JSF is again the most popular by a large margin.
>>>
>>> Looking at Google trends, comparing PrimeFaces vs Spring MVC, it can be
>>> see that at this moment both have the exact same growth curve:
>>> http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=PrimeFaces%2C%20Spring%20MVC
>>>
>>> Looking at job trends, there's an another remarkable similarity. This
>>> time JSF and Spring MVC have nearly the exact same *decline* curve:
>>> http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=jsf%2C+%22spring+mvc%22 Adding some more
>>> frameworks shows the others are declining too, but at the moment the order
>>> is:
>>>
>>> JSF
>>> Spring MVC
>>> GWT