users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: MVC

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 23:01:54 +0200

Frankly spoken, I am not clear about the intention of adding MVC support
particularly to JAX-RS. What do users expect to get in the end, keeping in
mind that JAX-RS's very own target is to provide a framework for RESTful
applications -- which by definition are stateless, while MVC is stateful,
just like JSF is. Could it be the case that MVC, just as with SSE (see my
other posting), is a candidate for a separate API built ONTOP of JAX-RS (an
OPTIONAL extension to JAX-RS in a technical sense)? I think so, so if Bill
Shannon likes to get that, and the JAX-RS EG group denies this to be
RESTful, it might be an indicator that my proposal of splitting JAX-RS into
"Java API for http" and "Things built ontop of that, like REST, SSE, and
MVC" is valid and should be implemented. If JSF wants to get an MVC layer
implemented by JAX-RS technology, the way to go then would be that "we"
(JAX-RS) provide "Java API for http" (= the technology defined by JAX-RS
currently), while the JSF guys *use* that to build their MVC stuff ontop.
But frankly spoken, I do not see why "we" (JAX-RS) should provide MVC, is
that is not REST.

Regards
-Markus