users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Possible issues with section 3.8 and sentences 9/10

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:49:54 +0100

Hi

Section 3.8 concludes with

9. If M contains ‘*/*’ or ‘application/*’, set Mselected =
‘application/octet-stream’, finish.
10. Generate a NotAcceptableException (406 status) and no entity.

I'm seeing an early test failing where we have

Accept: text/*
Produces: text/*

CXF produces: 200 + application/octet-stream, test expects 406.
It is not a big problem for us to make sure that if a wildcard response
types does not meet requirements from 9, them it is 406 (as per 10.),
however, I wonder, should we always do 9. whenever a response type
contains "*", not only if it is a wildcard or application/* ?

It is kind of strange to get 406 returned when a match has been successful.

I can open a minor improvement request for 2.1 if you agree

Sergey