users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Re: Re: FilterAction and FilterContext

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:03:25 +0100

On 12/02/2011 03:46 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
> On 12/2/11 7:25 AM, Marek Potociar wrote:
>> I cannot stop wondering how a single interface can cause such strong feelings. :)
>>

> I'll be blunt here...Because, for me at least, this is just another small example of over-designing. The whole client
> interface is littered with the same kind mistakes and it just becomes aggravating and frustrating the more times you see
> it and the more times you have to argue over something simple.
>
> Just on Tuesday I had a meeting with a junior developer that works for me. He was trying to understand 2.0 by looking
> at the javadocs and was having a hard time. When I told him to check out the examples, it was a lot easier for him, but
> still, just looking at the API was a barrier for him.
>
> Anyways, thats my rant for the week. Enjoy....

Bill,

While I tried to explain in length the reasons for which I prefer the functional filter style to any other, all I hear
back from you is the same simplicity mantra over and over. No details, no further reasoning why your proposal is better
when taking all the aspects into account. So for me, this was indeed just a rant. Somewhat frustrating and not a
particularly fair one.

Marek