users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Allow header in (Request)HttpHeaders

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:23:07 +0100

On 2011-12-19 10:41, Marek Potociar wrote:

> On Sun 18 Dec 2011 01:12:23 PM CET, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2011-12-16 12:31, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> I just recalled:
>>
>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/105>
>>
>> So HTTPbis makes it response-only.
>
> I see now - section 3.3 makes it clear. It would be good to re-state
> the information also in 9.1; Previously I just checked 9.1 and the
> wording there can be interpreted in multiple ways.

9.1 says:

"The "Allow" header field lists the set of methods advertised as
supported by the target resource. The purpose of this field is strictly
to inform the recipient of valid request methods associated with the
resource.

   Allow = #Method

Example of use:

   Allow: GET, HEAD, PUT

The actual set of allowed methods is defined by the origin server at the
time of each request.

A proxy MUST NOT modify the Allow header field — it does not need to
understand all the methods specified in order to handle them according
to the generic message handling rules."

I would think that's clear.

Note the change we made in
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/232>; we fixed the
classification and removed the text related to Allow: from the
definition of PUT.

>> Recommendation: when checking RFC 2616, please check the new drafts as well. We're getting close to Last Call.
>
> What is the ETA? What are the outstanding milestones and dates?

See
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011OctDec/0511.html>...

There are no fixed dates (it takes as long as it takes :-); we plan to
publish a new set of drafts this week, and hopefully we can do a Working
Group Last Call on these early next year.

Best regards, Julian