jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Adding SSE support to JAX-RS 2.1?

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:18:18 -0500

On Mar 6, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/6/2014 8:46 AM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:07 PM, Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Honestly, I don't see why we should have support for this in JAX-RS. Let the servlet spec handle it.
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating on this? I don't know of many developers that would prefer to use servlets over JAX-RS for anything, including new features like SSE.
>>

> So, JAX-RS is no longer a REST framework, but now a replacement for servlets?

 No, but REST frameworks are becoming increasingly popular with thin-server architectures and browser clients. As a developer, it would feel awkward to move from JAX-RS to Servlets just to implement SSE for those clients.

> Are you going to add WebSocket support?

 No, WebSocket is completely different and it's already in EE 7 (JSR 356).

> Http UPGRADE support?

 No.

> How about security constraints?

 Yes, improving security for resources is something that we hear a lot.

> Forwards?

 Hmm. Didn't you ask for this on Sept 11, 2013 in relation to Angular JS?

> Are you going to create your own JAX-RS WAR type so you can bundle static files?

 No, and I don't see the connection with SSE because there's nothing static about it.

> Keep REST stuff in JAX-RS, keep everything else in Servlet spec.

 Yes, this is a good point. However, an SSE connection can be seen as a streaming resource with a special media type (all of which is already supported in JAX-RS); hence the reason for this investigation.

-- Santiago