jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: AsyncResponse should be able to accept responses immediately

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 13:49:58 -0400

On 9/27/2012 10:30 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> It is really the responsibility of the runtime to make sure the
> invocation can be properly suspended - but not at the cost of preventing
> the user from reacting to AsyncResponse immediately.

+1. For example this is a nice use case:

@POST
void expensiveOperation(AsyncResponse res, Data data) {
    res.resume(Response.status(202));

    ... process data

}

> The other thing is that AsyncResponse should be able to accept 'null'
> resumes, example, 204 in return to GET should work too - this makes it
> difficult to use AsyncResponse.resume for the immediate provision of the
> response.
>
> Thus I'd like to do a minor improvement:
> - add AsyncResponse.accept(Object)

accept == 202? I don't see why we'd need a special method. Its a rare
case and there is a good chance you'll want to populate a Response
object for a 202 anyways.