jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Link 'produces' and 'consumes' parameters

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:22:59 -0400

On 8/17/2012 9:40 AM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:
> The original idea was to use a subset of the syntax in the RFC, namely
> space-separated lists for all multi-valued params (see Link.toString()).
> However, this could be an issue with media types with parameters:
>
> audio/*; q=0.2
>
> Hmmm. We'll need to revisit this.

not just qualifiers. version and charset attributes are also very common.

>> I wonder if we should just limit the support of media types to the
>> 'type' attribute and postpone the support for multiple
>> produces/consumes types when we have some realistic cases
>
> Perhaps, but people that have extended JAX-RS with hyperlinks have
> found this additional meta-data to be useful.

In my experience, this type of metadata is rarely used as machine-based
clients are just looking for the rel and the href. Even so, "rel"
attribute is enough self-describing metadata for the client to know what
to do as its either registered with IANA, or a URL you can query.