jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] HEADS-UP: JSR schedule update + Bean Validation support

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 20:58:01 +0200

Experts,

as you know integration with Bean Validation 1.1 specification is one of the last major features we would like to see included in JAX-RS 2.0 that is not finalized yet. This feature however introduces a dependency in JAX-RS 2.0 spec on the BV 1.1 spec. As it turns out, it also means that in such case we need to make sure that BV 1.1 specification is released before JAX-RS 2.0. Unfortunately, in the last several weeks we haven't been successful to get any response from the BV spec leads wrt. our questions around their schedule plans. (Bill, any help here would be very much appreciated.)

To gain some more time to resolve the situation we have decided to postpone the planned JAX-RS 2.0 final release date to Jan 14 2013. Counting backwards using the rules setup in the JCP process, the postponed date means following for the up-comming JAX-RS 2.0 milestones:
no later than Sept. 17 - JAX-RS 2.0 Public Review period starts
note that we'd like to start sooner if possible to address earlier RedHat request for a PR period longer than 30 days.
Oct. 17 - JAX-RS 2.0 Public Review period ends
this would be a fixed date regardless of how early PR starts
Dec. 12 - JAX-RS 2.0 Public Final Draft submitted
Dec. 19 - JAX-RS 2.0 Final ballot starts
Jan. 14 - JAX-RS 2.0 Final Release
Please, note that this revised schedule still places the following date constraints on the BV 1.1 spec, otherwise we would have to drop the BV 1.1 support from JAX-RS 2.0:
no later than Sept. 12 - BV 1.1 Public Review period needs to start
if this date is not met, we would have to drop BV support
no later than Nov. 19 - BV 1.1 Final ballot needs to start
no later than Dec. 10 - BV 1.1 Final Release needs to happen
We sincerely hope the BV 1.1 JSR will be able to meet these dates so that we can include the BV 1.1 support in the JAX-RS 2.0. In any case, if the dates are not met and BV 1.1 support is dropped from JAX-RS 2.0, we would be adding this support later in a maintenance release. It's however very unlikely that the maintenance release would be still included in Java EE 7.

Kind regards,
Marek