jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Java SE 7 features in JAX-RS 2.0?

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:17:13 +0100

On 09/07/12 10:55, Marek Potociar wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/12 10:00, Marek Potociar wrote:
>>> FWIW, here's Java SE 6 EOL date information:
>>>
>>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>>
>> Marek, I think you have ignored my original comment.\
>
> I didn't. I take your noted down your concerns. The link I sent to the EG is just a clarification about the Java SE EOL plans. Please do not interpret it as a decision to switch JAX-RS 2.0 to Java SE 7.
>

>> I'm getting seriously concerned about this push to get the specification bootstrapping Java-based technologies including Java itself. Please continue the good job of making the spec a really good spec for making it easy to address HTTP-related issues.
>
> Ok, sorry if it felt like I'm pushing hard for a change. I'm not trying to push for it. As I wrote in my original email that started this thread I'd just like to get the EG feedback and I certainly noted down your reservations.
>

>> The plus argument I've heard about Jersey being able to explore the super-optimized parallel instructions or indeed the fact that SE 7 can let users get the most out of Locale are non-starters IMHO. There might be some other possible optimization SE7 can give to the API. That is non-starter too.
>
> That wasn't my argument, so I'm not going to comment on that one.

I apologize anyway if I over-reacted

>> Because, I repeat, it will block CXF or other frameworks that will support SE 6 builds, from implementing the spec or parts of it earlier.
>> Which is probably of the least concern but it should not be
>
> It certainly is a valid concern. At the same time, for many projects and customers the information about Java SE 6 EOL plans may raise valid concerns too. (Again, I'm not pushing, just pointing at relevant information. Whether we decide to switch or not, I'm fine either way.)

I believe that customers working with SE7 will run Jersey and other
implementations without any problems due to the backward-compatibility
guarantee every Java implementations provide.

Would that be realistic to review this issue for say JAX-RS 2.1 ?
I think that introducing SE7-specific features into the 2.0 spec API
at that stage should not introduce any backward-compatible issues at the
spec API level but rather enhance it...

Cheers, Sergey