jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: HEADS-UP: Revise MBR selection mechanism?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:31:45 +0200

On May 25, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:

> Anyway. I recognize the issue exists. I'm not happy with the proposed solution. I see it works in the examples that you gave but concerned it will upset more sophisticated providers. But I do not have much to offer instead but only suggesting to get custom providers registered when is really needed or introducing multiple endpoints to avoid the conflicts.

Same as Bill with RestEasy users, we also see in Jersey people struggling with issues around having generic binding entity providers (JSON, JAXB ...) working together with custom providers as one would intuitively expect in certain cases. Some more complex scenarios even complicate things further leading to potential dead ends in development when users face the problem of not being able to use a generic library at all or without too much extra wiring on their end (admittedly, that's not how one would want to use a library). And these situations are not caused by a mistake of a library provider. It's a problem inherent to JAX-RS spec. So IMO we need to address it and fix it in the spec rather than suggesting painful workarounds.

Marek