jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: UriBuilder, forward slashes, path and segments

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:52:17 -0400

On 6/3/12 4:26 AM, Markus KARG wrote:
> As I stated months back already, it seems some members should look the API
> more through the eyes of Java programmers and less through the eyes of
> implementation vendors or web gurus. Many of the past discussions would not
> have happened if people would try to make things as most simple for the
> users of the spec, instead of making most of their own position.

I find your comments extremely insulting, arrogant, and well, extremely
ignorant.

Many vendor experts on this specification, specificaly, the most active
ones (Marek & Co. (Oracle/Jersey), Sergey (Apache CXF) and myself (Red
Hat/Resteasy)) are not sales guys, nor is our primary job description
sitting on JSR committees. The 3 "vendors" i mentioned are the primary
developers of their perspective implementations. Implementations that
are open source. We answer questions on dev/user lists/forms. We
schedule and fix the majority of bugs and feature requests asked for by
users. We interact with users *ON A DAILY BASIS*.

For myself, I've done a number of presentations on JAX-RS, written a
book on it, and have done a handful of short-term consulting gigs on
JAX-RS for customers. I've also written a few services and applications
on top of JAX-RS/Resteasy.

I've been on a few different JSRs over the years, and this
specification, by far, has the most qualified experts of any JSR I've
ever been on. Mainly because of all the characteristics I mentioned
above, but I'll add another. It is by far, the *least* political spec
I've ever worked on. I'll go as far as saying that there is *no*
politics in this group and I really commend Marek for this.

So, do you think that we might have *some insight* on things? Any?

As far as the '/' goes:

* I've had the need to *not* encode '/' included in path parameters to
UriBuilder in a few of the services I've written on top of JAX-RS.
Specifically when using it to build from uri-templates included in links.
* I've had users complain when we didn't automatically encode '/'
path-parameters in our client proxy framework. I had different users
complain when we changed it to automatically encode '/'.

So, between build() and buildFromEncoded(), I'm hoping one of them will
automatically encode '/' and the other won't.

Moral of the story?

I've HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE ISSUE. So instead of just blowing me off
because I'm a "vendor", maybe consider actually reading my concerns
instead of attacking my integrity.