jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: Improving Hypermedia Support

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:24:01 +0100

While entering slightly late this discussion, let me provide a summary of my take based on the feedback I read so far:

IMHO:

- for the reasons already argued, we need to be flexible about the API we provide in this space. Therefore I lean
towards a programmatic API that may serve as the base support.

- if we can reach an agreement, we may want to provide a few annotations, that may help to provide user convenience in
the most typical use case scenarios. These annotations should be "mappeable" to the programmatic API. By which I mean to
say that albeit not explicitly formulated by the spec, it should be clear that any new annotation would be substitutable
by a piece of code using the programmatic API.

- perhaps it is my misunderstanding, but I don't agree that JAX-RS resource classes should be tied to resource entities.
Perhaps it was an unfortunate choice of the name, but JAX-RS resource classes are conceptually controllers, not models.

Marek