jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: Proposal for merging HttpRequest/HttpResponse with the existing Request/Response API

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:05:44 -0400

On Sep 21, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Markus KARG wrote:
>
>>> While the proposed changes introduce a risk of BW incompatibility, the
>>> FWIW, we have already checked our intent within the JavaEE architects
>>> and spec leads group and while personal opinions
>>> of individual spec leads are divided, we are free to proceed with the
>>> change at our own discretion.
>>
>> Strange. I once read on this list that we must not induce ANY backwards incompatibility.
>
> Yes, that caught my eye, too earlier today.
>
> Essentially, such an incompatibility could force someone to adjust their JAX-RS based implementation when upgrading the Java stack to the one that comes with JAX-RS 2.0, right?

 Newer API, older implementation. Yes, this could happen.

 Other specs have followed this path, though. For example, the interface javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest has been extended with at least 5 methods in Servlet 3.0. The alternative is to define a new interface every time a change is needed, which is not ideal either.

-- Santiago