jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: client revisions

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:19:41 +0200

Hi Marek

Please see comments with S.B
From: Marek Potociar [marek.potociar_at_oracle.com]
Sent: 23 August 2011 21:54
To: jsr339-experts_at_jax-rs-spec.java.net
Cc: Sergey Beryozkin; Bill Burke
Subject: Re: [jsr339-experts] Re: client revisions

Hi Sergey,

thanks for chiming in on this controversial topic.

On 08/23/2011 10:27 PM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> If we can avoid re-introducing request() as a necessary code step then it would be nice.

Can you provide more justification for your preference if possible? I am asking because so far, only Markus is the clear
supporter. (I'm personally 50:50. I see some advantage of not having it, but I still included the Target.request() in my
initial API update as DSL looked good with it).

S.B: My primitive justification is that .request() is just one more step and thus I'm satisfied with the fact that the current revision is capable of
creating simple intuitive expressions (I think I'm with Markus on this one) without having to do .request() while also allowing for more sophisticated
ways of building the requests.
I will be commenting more soon, just need to properly review...

> I'm wondering if it's similar to Target.prepare() ?

It is similar, and so is the Invocation.TargetedBuilder.async() method. We would need to add buildGet(), buildPost(),
etc. methods to the target to get rid of the prepare(). Not sure it's a win. Alternatively, to get rid of prepare(), we
could reintroduce request() ;-)

S.B: I;d be for avoiding buildGet() and such. One does not have to use prepare() unless specifically needed and I'm OK with that.
But I will be commenting more shortly...

Thanks, Sergey

Marek