users@jax-rpc.java.net

RE: is returning files through a byte[] a good idea?

From: Sels Wannes <Wannes.Sels_at_cronos.be>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:31:59 +0200

Hi Ryan,

The only vendor I know that does not support MIME attachments is
Microsoft .NET . Apache Axis and JWSDP 1.5 both support SAAJ (Soap with
Attachments API for Java). Using byte[] to send binary data in xml is a
bad idea. Actually any way of moving binary data in xml is a bad way, a
better way is to keep the data out of the xml, which is exactly what
attachments does. Unfortunately there aren't many alternatives, and if a
third party relies on a vendor that does not support it, I believe that
indeed the best way to do this is byte[]

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Wannes