users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: SOAPAction header

From: Bobby Bissett - Javasoft <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:29:22 -0500

> I was recently assigned to track a bug which prevents our API from
> talking to a third-party web service, it turns out the the
> (Microsoft) based third-party web service dies because the SOAPAction
> HTTP header contains an empty string whereas our (Java based) test
> service happily processes the SOAP message even though it doesn't
> include a valud SOAPAction HTTP header.

For what it's worth, "" (empty string as opposed to no string) is a
valid soap action header according to the soap spec (v1.1). Sec 6.1.1
says that these are all valid:

SOAPAction:
SOAPAction: ""
SOAPAction: "<someuri>"

"The header field value of empty string ("") means that the intent of
the SOAP message is provided by the HTTP Request-URI. No value means
that there is no indication of the intent of the message."

Cheers,
Bobby