users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Empty SOAPElement from .net WebService

From: Chrisjan Matser <chrisjan_at_sterrentech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:15:32 -0800 (PST)

I did see that and was able to verify that I wasn't
doing anything wrong. I discovered the problem
though.

Turns out that the XML the .Net web service was
returning to me had a xmlns="" in the root element, a
namespace attribute with and empty namespace. JAX-RPC
decides to ignore the entire xml stream for this
response field. I was able to verify this using my
own ProxyServer to "snoop" the client/server SOAP
conversation.

I discovered that if the xmlns attribute was removed
completely, or if the xmlns attribute was filled with
a namespace, the SOAPElement was properly filled with
the response XML.

I was able to communicate this information to the .Net
developers and they are now adding a namespace so that
I can see their data. Interestingly (or maybe not
surprisingly), their VB test client could view their
XML response just fine.

I don't know if this is a bug in .NET or a bug in
JAX-RPC, or if this is a developer goof. But, it'd be
nice if JAX-RPC could have at least shown me the data
in the response field because it was there in the
response SOAPEnvelope.

For those interested in my ProxyServer, I took the
ProxyServer in the Java In A Nutshell examples and
modified it to print the client send stream and the
server reponse stream to standard out. Pretty cool
watching the SOAP conversation.

While I'm sending this email, I just thought I'd add,
wouldn't it be nice if JAX-RPC could provide a nice
web service info page when building a web service
server? Oracle and .Net do this. If you go to the
root of your web service, you currently see a link to
the WSDL and the model. It'd nice to see the methods
available, what params they take, and also a way to
test them right there from the browser. It'd be a
huge time saver for us developers. Thanks for
listening!

Chrisjan

--- "bytecode_at_Phreaker.net" <bytecode_at_Phreaker.net>

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/xml/jaxrpcpatterns/index.html