users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: [REPOST] ServletContextListener and WS (Servlet) initialization (JAXRPC runtime initialization)

From: Bobby Bissett - Javasoft <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:43:32 -0500

> So my question is when Context Listener should be invoked. If it is
> strictly defined and it should work as it work in Sun JES App Server and
> Tomcat then JAX-RPC can rely on Context Listeners but if it is not true
> or it is not strictly defined then you should consider rework because it
> will not work on some containers.

You are correct. The full answer is that it is spec'ed that Context
Listeners should be initialized before the servlet; however, that
requirement was not explicit in the servlet version that jaxrpc required
(I don't remember the versions, but it became explicit in .1 release
past our requirements).

A fix was put in for this after the jwsdp1.4 release, and so you can get
a JAXRPCServlet with a workaround in the jwsdp1.5 release, or you can
try the weekly builds on java.net. Let us know if the later version
fixes the problem for you -- I think it will just based on the code you
included not matching the code with the workaround that I see in the
latest weekly source drop.

(The new jax-rpc home page on java.net appears to have some links
pointing to the wrong place, but when you follow any of them to the
Documents and Files page click "weekly" in the file tree to get the
latest files.)

Cheers,
Bobby