users@jax-rpc.java.net

Is this even possible?

From: Steve Pruitt <SPruitt_at_exstream.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:26:11 -0500

I am new at webservices, and apparently, I picked a real doozy for my first one. I have been struggling trying to find the right combination of parameters, that 1) are platform vendor independent, 2) generate correct mapping files (including wsdl), and 3) provide workable data structures.

The service has a single operation. The operation has a single IN parameter that is an xml document. The operation has two OUT parameters: a byte array and an xml document. To try and simplify things, I made the second OUT parameter a String; but its really an xml document. But, the IN parameter has to be XML. For good measure I return a integer status code. Trying to find the right combination of class types for the parameters has been a fight. To make matters worse, the service is targetted at multi-vendor platforms.

The operation SEI signature is currently:

public int compose(Source reportRequest, ByteArrayHolder composedOutput, StringHolder metaOutput) throws RemoteException;

where reportRequest is the IN parameter
      composedOutput and metaOutput are the OUT parameters

From what I have been able to gather from information available to me, this should work. But, Source doesn't generate useful wsdl type; I get:

<simpleType name="text_xml">
   <restriction base="string"/>
</simpleType>

which in turn generates less useful RPC mapping file class type

<java-xml-type-mapping id="JavaXMLTypeMapping_1078845767566">
  <class-type>com.sun.java.Text_Xml</class-type>
   :
   :

I am about to conclude what I am trying to do is impossible. Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-SP