users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Using unbounded sequences

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:22:00 -0500

On Mar 24, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> Okay, perhaps I am confused. Perhaps you can help me understand it
> better.

The main difference is in the data model that underlies the two. SOAP
encoding is built on a directed edge-labeled graph whereas rpc/literal
is built on a tree structure. WSDL rpc/encoded uses XML schema to
describe the abstract types of operation parameters rather than their
actual serialized form (SOAP encoding does that). rpc/literal is really
just a convenient subset of document/literal where XML schema is used
to describe the serialized form of an operation's parameter types but
not the serialization of the so called wrapper elements that represent
the operations themselves.

You could use rpc/literal or document/literal to describe the
serialization of a directed edge labelled graph but it requires each
node in the tree to be a choice between a value or a reference to a
value and this gets pretty ugly pretty quickly.

Does that help ?
Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Web Products, Technologies and Standards, Sun Microsystems.