users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: cookie management between client and server

From: Bobby Bissett - Javasoft <robert.bissett_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:49:13 -0500

> just to clarify, sounds like you are saying that as long as i have a way
> to get a handle to an http request / response object in my service impl,
> i can get and set cookies to my heart's delight, is that correct?

Yes, except I don't know of a way to get the response object directly
except the way you're doing it with filters. As a side note, you *can*
access the cookie info directly from the mime headers of the soap
message with handlers, but only on an incoming message (request with a
server handler, response with a client handler). Not the same thing, but
it's there...

> the
> example you provided below uses http session not cookies, i just want to
> verify that it is okay to use cookies directly and not rely on http
> session.

It sets the one cookie for maintaining the session, but you're right
that it's not the same as getting the http response (like in the servlet
filter) and calling addCookie.

Cheers,
Bobby