users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: service endpoint

From: Sang Shin <sang.shin_at_sun.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:15:56 -0400

(I am not working in JAX-RPC group. So these are my
personal interpretation of the spec.)

Sam,

There seem to be several terms used in the spec
as following:

- Service endpoint definition
- Service endpoint class
- Service endpoint interface
- Service endpoint
- Servlet based endpoint
- Service endpoint model
- Service endpoint address

And the following is the way I see things. (Please feel
free to correct/comment.)

- Service endpoint definition, service endpoint are used to
  describe both conceptual and sometimes deployed state of a
  JAX-RPC service. So these two might include all the
  others such as endpoint interface, endpoint class,
  endpoint address

- Service endpoint model describes conceptual implementation
  and deployment model of JAX-RPC service. There are
servlet-based or
  statement session bean-based endpoint model.

- Service endpoint interface is "service definition
  interface" which is Remote type as following

   public interface HelloIF extends Remote {
    public String sayHello(String s) throws RemoteException;
   }

- Service endpoint class implements "Service definition
  interface" as following. This is a Java class which
  has no binding yet with transport protocol nor with
  endpoint address. It does not yet deployed in
  servlet container.

  public class HelloImpl implements HelloIF {

    public String message = new String("Hello ");

    public String sayHello(String s) {
        return new String(message + s);
    }

  }

- Service endpoint address is the concrete
transport-specific
  address of the JAX-RPC service. For example, if HTTP is
  the transport protocol, then it will be in the form of
  URL like http://sun.com/stockquote or SMTP is used for
  transport, it will be in the form of email address like
  sang.shin_at_sun.com.

-Sang