users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: xrpcc and other questions

From: Sang Shin <Sang.Shin_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:44:29 -0500

Sang Shin wrote:

> Sam wrote:
> >
> > I m not sure about this. Perhaps you can clarify this.
> >
> > What is the bigger picture.. of how clients use stubs ?
> >
> > The way I see it a stub can be distributed with a client and the client
> > can access the stub (as we do in RMI clients by doing something similar
> > to a lookup).
>
> According to the JAX-RPC spec, the stub gets generated
> during
> deployment time specific to a particular JAX-RPC runtime
> system. (One of the reasonings for this is not to
> impose the portability requirement to the stub.)
>
> Even in regular RMI, the recommended practice is to download
> the stub during runtime through something like RMI registry
> (or Jini lookup service) during runtime. So distributing
> a stub with a client is usually considered a bad practice.

(I am not working in JAX-RPC group. So these are my
personal interpretation of the spec.)

By the way, I did not mean to imply that in the case of
JAX-RPC,
the stub gets downloaded to the client during runtime. My
understanding is that the stub gets generated by the client
side JAX-RPC runtime system.

Sang Shin sang.shin_at_sun.com
Strategic Market Development (781) 442-0531(Work)
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (781) 993-1136(Fax)

http://www.plurb.com/misc/xml/brandeis-xml-2001.html#bio
http://www.plurb.com/misc/te/SangSchedule.html