users@javaserverfaces.java.net

Re: How the faces servlet gets a JSF-view

From: Martin Höller <martin.hoeller_at_xss.co.at>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:55:50 +0100

On Friday 07 March 2008 Ryan Lubke wrote:
> Martin Höller wrote:
> >> The FacesServlet really doesn't do much outside of invoking the
> >> Lifecycle.
> >
> > But doesn't the UIViewRoot has to be built somehow? And doesn't this
> > imply the reading of the actual JSP page? I don't get this.
>
> I posted the details on how this works in my original reply. Here they
> are again:
[...]
I read them but didn't get it all at first. However, it seems I begin to
understand... slowly :-) Thanks for you patience.

> > My final problem is, that I want to use JSF with OpenCms which stores
> > all pages in a database. Usually files are accessed via the opencms
> > servlet (http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/opencms/somefile.jsp).
> > Integration with JSF 1.1 is possible by setting up the FacesServlet as
> > usual and accessing the pages via
> > http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/faces/opencms/somefile.jsp. With JSF 1.2
> > this returns an empty or heavily truncated page (don't know yet on what
> > this depends) an no errors or exceptions can be found in the log files.
>
> My theory is that when going through the opencms servlet they may be
> wrapping
> the request/response with custom wrappers to handle their JSP access.
> In earlier
> versions of 1.2, we'd silently fail if the wrapper, at the time we were
> processing,
> wasn't what we expected. I'd recommend using JSF 1.2_08 and trying your
> application
> again. We've added error messages that would confirm if this was the
> case or not.

Ok, I'll try that and come back later.

best regards,
- martin
--
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller_at_xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/