users@javaserverfaces.java.net

Re: Is rendered output buffered or streamed?

From: Ryan Lubke <Ryan.Lubke_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:02:28 -0700

Mikael Andersson wrote:
> Hi Ryan
>
> I'm using 1.2_04, when is a state marker typically written?
By default, the marker will be written right *before* the form tag is
closed.
So all of the content prior to that will not be buffered by the RI.

> And what is it? Is it a place holder for which is replaced with the
> component tree state in the rendered output?
It's an implementation specific string that the ViewHandler will look
for after the rendering of the component
tree is complete. For each occurrence of this string, the actual result
from the StateManager will be inserted.

> Can you provide hints of how to configure 1.2_04 to manage pages with
> a lot of content? Which buffer sizes are sane to use? Asking becuase
> of the post below suggesting small buffer size.
It really depends on the view. If you keep to having one form per page
and you generally don't have a lot of content after the form, the
default (I don't have the code handy, but I think it's 1024) should be
sufficient. If you have multiple forms per page, then all of the
content after the first form will be buffered, so depeneding on how
large the other forms are you may see a need to increase the buffer
size (I believe the param is com.sun.faces.responseBufferSize - I'll
follow up with another email if the param and default aren't what I'm
remembering)