users@javaserverfaces.java.net

RE: Re: Re: I don't understand why I can't use a FacesMessage within a catch statement in a Backing Bean?

From: <jacob_at_hookom.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:59:37 -0400

Try doing message.setDetail(...) if you haven't tried that yet

What I have is the following:

<h:commandButton id="freesearchBtn"
        value="#{common.labelBtnSearch}"
        actionListener="#{tbrowser.doFreeFormSearch}"/>

Calling:

public void doFreeFormSearch(ActionEvent event) {
        FacesContext facesContext = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance();
      FacesMessage message = new FacesMessage();

try {

} catch (MyException e) {
        message.setSeverity(FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR);
        message.setSummary("No results found.");

        facesContext.addMessage(null, message);
        facesContext.renderResponse();

        logger.error("My Exception:", e);

I don't have an action on the h:commandButton.

I just don't understand that when I debug the backing bean, it steps
into the catch statement, nothing errors... no server.log messages or
anything.

But the <h:messages/> doesn't render.

Thanks,

--Todd