dev@javaserverfaces.java.net

Re: Setting focus on input fields

From: Ken Paulsen <Ken.Paulsen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:06:37 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I'm late to reading this thread.  The Woodstock team has been dealing with focus behavior since before they started writing JSF components.  The Woodstock component set handles the focus behavior as described here:

    https://woodstock.dev.java.net/TN-Focus-Behavior.htm

Perhaps their experience with this topic is of value to this conversation.

Thanks,

Ken

Jesse Alexander (KSFH 323) wrote:
Hi Jim

In some way Jason's proposal seems more natural.
For a component that controls which field should have the focus
when the page is rendered, I see the following possibilities:

a) <f:view focus=#{some.el.returning.a.id}
focusError=#{el.true.or.false}...>

b) <h:form focus=#{some.el.returning.a.id}
focusError=#{el.true.or.false}...>

c) <h:form>
    <my:focus ... />
   </h:focus>

d) <v:view>
    <my:focus ... >
     <h:form>
     </h:form>
     <h:form>
     </h:form>
    </my:focus>
   </f:view>

e) <h:form>
    <my:focus ...>
    </my:focus>
   </h:form>

a) is comfortable, but "reasonably do-able" only through corresponding
   spec-changes, necessary if we must suppose that more than one
   entry form per view is the usual thing
b) is comfortable, but "reasonably do-able" only through corresponding
   spec-changes
c) is comfortable, does not need a spec change, can be plugged in
d) is comfortable, does not need a spec change, can be plugged in,
   necessary if we must suppose that more than one entry form per view
   is the usual thing
e) feeling a bit "awkward"

attributes:
- focus: the id, not the client-id, that would be too cumbersome for
developers,
         of the field that should receive the focus
- focusError: true|false If true, then the focus should be set on the
first
              field that is connected to an error-message shown on the
view

guess what: we just did something in that way, choosing c) for JSF 1.2
and Facelets
using some code from the Tomahawk-(sandbox ?)
Which, imho, proves the existing need for such a component

regards
Alexander