dev@javaserverfaces.java.net

Re: Seeking Review: 8-ViewLifecycle

From: Adam Winer <adam.winer_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:38:40 -0800

Ed Burns wrote:

> AW> Ed,
> AW> Shouldn't we be calling all the UIViewRoot phase listener
> AW> on all phases, not just encodeBegin() and encodeEnd()?
>
> This would be much more appropriately discussed in jsr-252. Also, the
> time for discussing this has past, but we can discuss it if you feel
> strongly about it.

I assumed that was I was describing *was* the resolution
in JSR 252. In the discussion there, you did mention the
rendering phase in the requirements, but nothing in the
proposed solution said that you were only going to execute
it in for Render Response; had you said so, I would have
said something!

I can guarantee you that no user is going to expect that a
"PhaseListener" is now going to fire only for one phase.
IMO, easily the most obvious interpretation of the language
in the proposal was exactly that it would run in every
phase for that UIViewRoot.

-- Adam