dev@javaserverfaces.java.net

Re: [REVIEW] Minor performance enhancement to configuration/startup

From: Ed Burns <Ed.Burns_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:45:49 -0700

RL> Based on suggestion by Craig(?) this change bundle does the
RL> following: Using stylesheets, the jsf-ri-config.xml and
RL> standard-html-renderkit.xml files are merged into one document
RL> (jsf-ri-runtime.xml). Once the merge is complete, another
RL> stylesheet is applied which removes all tool related metadata.

RL> NOTE: jsf-ri-config.xml and standard-html-renderkit.xml (and its
RL> associated entities) remain included in the JAR as is.

RL> RI and Demo unit tests pass (TCK in progress though I don't suspect
RL> there will be a problem).

I wanted this for 1.0, but it's good to have it now.

I'll leave it up to Jayashri if she wants to accept it for 1.1_01, but
here is my review.

RL> SECTION: Modified Files
RL> ----------------------------------
RL> M build.xml
RL> - added target to apply the xslt stylesheets to the existing
RL> RI configuration files to create one runtime configuration
RL> file used by the ConfigureListener

RL> M src/com/sun/faces/config/ConfigureListener.java
RL> - Modified the parsing sequence to look for the jsf-ri-runtime.xml
RL> file instead of the jsf-ri-config.xml and standard-html-renderkit.xml
RL> files

RL> A conf/xslt/jsf-merge-config.xsl
RL> - merges the jsf-ri-config.xml and standard-html-renderkit.xml

RL> A conf/xslt/jsf-prune-tool-data.xsl
RL> - removes the tool metadata

Why restrict the stylesheet just to those metadata elements that happen
to exist in the standard-html-renderkit.xml? For example, we don't need
attribute-extension, property-extension, suggested-value, icon, just to
name a few. I'd like to see as much pruning as possible.

Otherwise,

r=edburns, thanks for doing this.

Ed