users@javaserverfaces-spec-public.java.net

[jsr344-experts mirror] [jsr344-experts] Re: [ADMIN] Request for time commitment

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:01:22 -0800

EB> To that end, I'm writing to ask you all to see if you can give me some
EB> concrete estimates on the amount of time you'll have for JSF EG work.
EB> I'm in the process of updating the project plan and I wonder if I can

Those that replied, thank you. I'll be sending you each a URL pointer
to this EG mail individually because here's where I call you on your
commitment. If you are one of those individuals, I expect you to read
this entire email. Reading the mail and performing the tasks requested
will not take more time than what you said you had, per-week.

I've updated the project plan and created a report, available at
<http://jsf-spec.java.net/planning/>.

Here are the highlights, working backwards from the end.

* The planned deadline for having JSF 2.2 all done (Spec, RI, TCK) is 9
  July 2012.

* The planned deadline for having the Public Review Draft of the spec
  handed to the EG is 11 April 2012. I'll drop work in order to make
  that date.

The time between now and 11 April 2012 is the time we have to get work
done. That's only 62 calendar days.

Using the available data in the JIRA, I've broken the work down into
segments that I'm calling "sprints" but I admit I have very little
experience with scrum. If anyone is good at scrum, they are welcome to
step up and help me with the project management work. I would really
appreciate such help.

For each sprint, I've designated a "complexity captain" who is
responsible for at least looking over the issues in their sprint and
estimating how long those issues will take to resolve. The project plan
has been structured so that we can play with the task durations and see
how it impacts the previously cited deadlines. In other words, Finish
Dates are designed to be flexible. Deadline Dates are not. I'll try my
hardest to have us hit the deadline dates, God willing.

IMPORTANT: The word "resolve" here means that the EG has discussed the
issue on the list and come to at least a loose understanding of the
right way it should be resolved. The work of capturing that
understanding into the specification is not included in my usage of the
word "resolved". As spec lead, I'll do that work and add it into the
plan as we go.

I arrived at this set of tasks and assignments by taking our existing
JSF_2_2_WORKING_SET list (which we arrived at by voting), tweaking it a
bit, grouping the result by functional area, sorting by effort within
each group (using the previously applied tags
size_{small,medium,large}), and choosing a complexity captain from the
roles of those that replied to my 18 Jan email. I tried make the
assignments respect what I perceived as each individual's area of
expertise. Here is the result.

Sprint 11 Complexity Captain Ed Burns

large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-949 Window Id Components/Renderers
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-947 Resources
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-719 Resources
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-594 Configuration/Bootstrapping

Sprint 12 Complexity Captain David Schneider

large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-730 Navigation
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-861 Ajax/JavaScript
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-802 Ajax/JavaScript
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-790 Ajax/JavaScript

Sprint 13 Complexity Captain Ken Paulsen

large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-971 Components/Renderers
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-941 Components/Renderers
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-776 Components/Renderers

Sprint 14 Complexity Captain Ted Goddard

small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-695 Facelets/VDL
medium JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-650 Facelets/VDL
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1028 Lifecycle
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-925 Lifecycle
large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-533 Configuration/Bootstrapping

Sprint 15 Complexity Captain Bernd Mueller

large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-333 Portlet
large JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-948 Security
small JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1 Validation

ACTION: If you are a complexity captain, please let me know your
estimates for the issues in your sprint. You can either add them to the
JIRA directly, or simply reply to this email, but please let me know
which you did. I'd like to have the initial estimates in by 23:59 EST
Tuesday 14 April 2012. Consider it your St. Valentine's Day gift to the
Java Community.

Thanks for your attention and help!

Ed