[jsr372-experts] Re: [1430-RepeatableAnnotations] PROPOSAL

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 01:11:11 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hello Volunteers,
>
> While reviewing the Java EE Guardians list in preparation for JavaOne, I
> came across some apparently very low hanging fruit. A quick search of
> our JIRA did not reveal an existing issue for this, so I'm filing it
> now: JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1430-Repeatable Annotations support.

Nice ;)

> Here is the Java EE Guardians thread: <https://groups.google.com/
> forum/#!topic/javaee-guardians/4vb_kdWhMj8>.
>
> A quick grep of our annotations (excluding the now deprecated
> ManagedBeans ones) reveals the following likely candidates:
>
> public @interface ManagedProperty {
> ./src/main/java/javax/faces/annotation/ManagedProperty.java
>
> public @interface ListenerFor {
> ./src/main/java/javax/faces/event/ListenerFor.java
> public @interface ListenersFor {
> ./src/main/java/javax/faces/event/ListenersFor.java
>
> public @interface ResourceDependencies {
> ./src/main/java/javax/faces/application/ResourceDependencies.java
> public @interface ResourceDependency {
> ./src/main/java/javax/faces/application/ResourceDependency.java
>
> Any reason we should not make these SE 8 repeatable compatible?

@ResourceDependency and @ListenersFor are perfect for this indeed.

@ManagedProperty however would make far less sense. It's a qualifier with a
single non-binding attribute that only targets a field. It wouldn't be very
logical to qualify the same injection point twice or take two EL outcomes
and somehow assign that to a single field.

But +1 for those other two.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms