[jsr372-experts] Re: [JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1056] DISCUSSION - More flexible state saving

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 20:04:26 +0200

Hi,

I don't really think this issue is too broad. "Improve state" would
maybe be, but this issue actually just asks to make the state mode
setting more flexible. It's now only a global setting, and the issue
asks to give extra options, such as the ability to set it for a URL
pattern (with the single view being an example of such pattern).

The context is that "state" is one of the most complained about
aspects of JSF. Sometimes this seems justified, sometimes maybe not
entirely. Too often people seem to think of terms of "state is bad,
stateless is good", and following that: "JSF has state, so JSF is
bad".

While *that* is a really broad issue, although one that would be great
to discuss separately, 1056 is really a rather narrow aspect of this
larger topic.

Sure, it can be split into even smaller things like:

* Set state save mode per view
* Set state save mode per pattern
* Unify pseudo state save mode "none" (stateless) with modes "server"
and "client"
* Make it possible to set "none" globally as well

Still, I think just splitting up in separate issues without any
context may not necessarily improve matters.

Kind regards,
Arjan