[jsr372-experts] Re: [JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1370] Java 8 Date and Time API in JSF 2.3

From: Josh Juneau <juneau001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 09:06:42 -0500

Hi Manfred-

To be honest, I haven't begun working on the implementation yet, as I've
been finishing up an article for Java magazine. I am submitting that
today, so this is next on the list. I have thought a lot about it and have
some ideas of how we can possibly support 1.8 date and time as well as
backwards compatibility. I will start there...I will send out my proposed
ideas to the list within the next day.

Main idea, add a new Faces parameter in web.xml to configure JDK date
preference. Another option is to add an attribute to the calendar
components that will allow for backward compatibility...but support JDK8
date and time by default. This will be the main discussion, I
believe...which to make default. If we make JDK8 default then it will
break all applications right away...but if we make JDK8 opt-in, then it may
be easier to push through.

Thanks

Josh Juneau
juneau001_at_gmail.com