[jsr372-experts] Re: Parameterize Converter and Validator interfaces

From: Bauke Scholtz <balusc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:54:29 +0200

Hi,

I parameterized the interfaces in our repo last week. When I came to the
step of parameterizing the now raw-typed standard converter
implementations, I see the below check in getAsString of ALL standard
javax.faces.convert.* converters:

// If the incoming value is still a string, play nice

// and return the value unmodified

if (value instanceof String) {

  return (String) value;

}

What is this? Is this a leftover of JSF 1.x? I'd opt for removing them all,
but this would induce less backwards compatibility (although I'd really
wonder who would explicitly specify those converters on a String model
type). If we really need to keep them, then e.g. IntegerConverter can't be
parameterized with <Integer> without triggering a compile error on
incompatible types on that check. We would then end up with an
IntegerConverter which implements Converter<Object> which just isn't nice
to the outside world.

Cheers, B