[jsr372-experts] Re: WebSocket Push Component

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:07:16 -0700

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015, Josh Juneau <juneau001_at_gmail.com> wrote:
JJ> I agree that it makes sense to standardize widely used component library
JJ> features, making them part of the core. The push component that is offered
JJ> by solution such as PrimeFaces Push is very handy, and I think including an
JJ> interpretation of that functionality would be welcomed as a standard
JJ> feature of JSF.

AT> I second this, just as 2.0 introduced the AJAX groundwork, and 2.2
AT> file upload, even though that functionality was already available at
AT> the time in component libraries, I think adding basic push support
AT> would be a good idea.

EB> Well, we know that Cagatay has his hands full with 49-JsClientId, so we
EB> need someone else to move this forward.

EB> I turned up this blog entry from Cagatay:
EB> <http://blog.primefaces.org/?p=3066>. It has a link to one JSF specific
EB> example, using ViewParam
EB> <http://www.primefaces.org/showcase-labs/push/viewparam.jsf?data=Pushed>.

EB> After skimming the blog entry, it seems like PrimeFaces Push depends on
EB> Atmosphere. Is the idea to just rewrite PrimeFaces Push but depend on
EB> WebSocket instead? Can someone please respond with a compelling usage
EB> example?

Well, I took a closer look at the viewParam demo and even got so far as
to get it working on my local workarea. I think we should standardize
this. It's about time we get some WebSocket integration up in here.

Looking at the viewParam demo, there are quite a few moving parts. One
thing I'm not sure about is the necessity of the JavaScript API as
presented in the push.js file distributed by primefaces. If we assume
webSocket and no fancy fallback mechanism, do we need a JavaScript API
at all for this feature?

Ed