[jsr372-experts] Re: Url mapping PROVISIONALLY CLOSED

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:27:18 -0800

LU> I would like to do a counter-proposal.

LU> Suppose there is a special web folder called META-INF/views. It has
LU> the following conditions:

[... Leonardo's excellent counter-proposal...]

LU> In my personal opinion, the proposal has the following advantages:

LU> - Provide an abstraction that hides how the urls are generated.

This is just way too close to what they're doing with MVC for me to
greenlight, even though it would be useful for JSF. I must request that
we decline Leonardo's proposal for inclusion in JSF 2.3. If you find
yourself disagreeing with my request, imagine trying to explain to a new
user coming to Java EE 8 why we have two extremely similar ways to use
JSF pages.

Another reason for requesting to decline this is Neil's observation that
it is not compatible with portlets. I'm marking this PROVISIONALLY
CLOSED, however, I do leave the door open to an idea down below.

I'm sorry for allowing the discussion on this thread to go on so long
only to request that we close it down three months later. I admit that
is poor form.

FC> I think, the only thing, the servlet spec can do for us (and for
FC> MVC), is supporting the JAX-RS @Path syntax somehow. This syntax
FC> should be available for servlet mappings. Then it could be parsed by
FC> the servlet implementation directly. Now the parsed parameters
FC> should be made available similar to query parameters:

FC> - Iterable<String> ServletRequest.getPathParameterNames()
FC> - String getPathParameter(String name)
FC> - Map<String, String> getPathParameterMap()

FC> We also need to know the mapping to map to the view or what MVC
FC> wants to map to: - ServletRequest.getMapping()

As Hazem pointed out, this is already logged as
<https://java.net/jira/browse/SERVLET_SPEC-73> by Arjan.

As Leonardo's proposal is too much, the question is: what can we do in
the "url mapping" topic for JSF 2.3? If there are no replies, we can
safely call this closed for 2.3.

Sincerely,

Ed