[jsr372-experts] Re: [941-ReduceELCalls] DISCUSSION

From: manfred riem <manfred.riem_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:07:46 -0600

Hi Leonardo,

I disagree, as when the rendering starts in each encodeBegin it can get
the elCacheable transientHelper attribute from the parent and then set
is own elCacheable transientHelper attribute. And if you cannot find the
elCacheable transientHelper attribute on the parent you err on the side
of assuming it is not EL cacheable. And voila no going up many levels.

Manfred

On 1/12/15, 12:26 PM, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
> Hi
>
> It could be one, it could be many. The problem is the component
> doesn't know how many levels up should be checked to decide if there
> is an iteration, so it will be forced to go all levels to the top,
> over and over. There is no contextual information about the current
> iteration. I think it is quite easy to find examples where it will fail.
>
> regards,
>
> Leonardo Uribe

> <mailto:manfred.riem_at_oracle.com>>:
>
> How so? It is just calling one component up?
>
> Manfred
>

> On 1/12/15, 12:06 PM, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
>> Hi Manfred

>> The problem is do that will increase the algorithm complexity. We
>> need to
>> keep it on lineal complexity (O(n)), otherwise the optimization
>> will not
>> be effective.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Leonardo Uribe

>> <mailto:manfred.riem_at_oracle.com>>:
>>
>> Hi Leonardo,
>>
>> The encodeBegin method has access to the parent component, so
>> it can determine the parent ElCacheable from it. If the
>> parent is not an ELCacheable instance the component itself
>> cannot be either, otherwise it can look its getter.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Manfred
>>

>> On 1/12/15, 11:40 AM, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I don't think an interface could work, because it is the
>>> parent, not the child who defines the iteration strategy. It
>>> is a fact that we reuse the same component instances for
>>> different rows (UIData).
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Leonardo Uribe

>>> <manfred.riem_at_oracle.com <mailto:manfred.riem_at_oracle.com>>:
>>>
>>> Hi Hanspeter,
>>>
>>> I am trying to formalize it for the RenderPhase only,
>>> which would mean stating something like the following:
>>>
>>> 1. ElCacheable would be defined by an interface
>>> 2. ElCacheable would operate only in RENDER_RESPONSE