[jsr372-experts] [1343-EnableElInFlowId] PROPOSAL

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:06:13 -0800

Hello Volunteers,

I am working on Mojarra bug JAVASERVERFACES-3593. It was an oversight
in the flow implementation that restricted the set of valid traversals.

To test this effectively, I'd like to be able to parameterize the
start-node of a flow, to handle the case where the start-node is one of
the five node types. This would require loosening the spec.

Currently the spec for Flow.getStartNodeId() says [1]

  Return the immutable id for the default node that should be activated
  when this flow is entered.

One way to parameterize the start-node is by allowing this to be an EL
expression. However, I'm not sure it's worth sacrificing the simplicity
of immutability. Keep in mind that instance of Flow are shared across
all requests, thus it is best to keep them as simple as possible.

I'm leaning towards abandoning this idea but wanted to check here first
before I do.

Thanks,

Ed

[1] https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/faces/flow/Flow.html#getStartNodeId()