[jsr372-experts] Re: [jsr372-experts mirror] Separate implicit bean navigation from action method via additional outcome attribute

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:31:16 -0700

MJ> Hello, I hope i am right here,
MJ> Ed Burns told me to bring this request up for the 2.3 spec.

MJ> https://java.net/jira/browse/JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1176

Hello!

I applaud your commitment and dedication to JSF. You are demonstrating
a level of follow-through that is really commendable

MJ> The submit/command components: 'commandButton' and 'commandLink'
MJ> use implicit navigation via their 'action' attribute and the
MJ> returned String in the bean method that is invoked and referenced
MJ> from the 'action' attribute.

MJ> Why is the navigation outcome handled in the called method of the
MJ> bean and not within the the view?

The original design of JSF intended for business logic to be handled by
the Java code during the Invoke Application lifecycle phase.

MJ> Adding the 'outcome' attribute of the 'button' and 'link'
MJ> components to the related command components 'commandButton' and
MJ> 'commandLink' would resolve this issue.

MJ> If the command component is invoked by the user the method of its
MJ> 'action' attribute is called and navigates to the target defined
MJ> in its 'outcome' attribute.

MJ> <h:commandButon action="#{bean.method()}" outcome="/index.xhtml"/>

I stand by my original resolution of WontFix for this issue but want to
give the EG a chance to weigh in if they like.

Ed