[jsr372-experts] Re: [jsr372-experts mirror] Re: Re: Re: [527-InjectFacesContext] Support and review

From: Leonardo Uribe <leonardo.uribe_at_irian.at>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:25:48 -0500

Hi

The other use case you need to consider is what happen
when a FacesContext wrapper is used in a section. In that
case, you want to get the right FacesContext in the wrapped
section. One example is UIViewAction, but there are others
out there.

Suppose this "hypothetical" use case. You have a task invoked
by a timer, or a REST service using JAX-RS, or a websocket
request and you need to access a CDI bean somewhere to
grab some data, and by some reason you need the
FacesContext. What do you do?

1. Construct a custom FacesContext, taking what you can from
the environment (servletContext, servletRequest, ...). If you don't
have a servlet request, use the mock classes from MyFaces
Test.
2. Call the method, passing FacesContext instance.

What if the CDI container deals with FacesContext instantiation
and release by itself, inspecting the context and building or
getting the right instance? Wouldn't that be nice? I think it can
be done.

I also see the possibility of provide a "simplified" FacesContext.
Not one that takes the context, request and response, but
one that can be called inline to do some simple tasks like
render plain html with minimal configuration (viewId + params).
That could be created/destroyed inline.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe