[jsr344-experts] [1159-AjaxAccessibility] (was: Re: Accessibility)

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:33:07 -0800

KM> Did we ever complete the discussion of this topic? I see Ed added a role
KM> attribute, but is there more that needs to be done?

That's an open question, but we've not really addressed it in JSF 2.2.

FC> I've never done anything with WAI-ARIA. But if it is all about
FC> attributes, can't you simply do this with passthrough attributes?
FC> And if so, do we really need the new role attribute?

Technically, you are correct, but it was a requested feature and I
judged it better to just add it natively.

CC> I do a lot of work on WAI-ARIA for PrimeFaces regarding screen
CC> readers, keyboard and mouse access.

CC> Pass thru attributes should handle some of the cases but the state
CC> attributes like aria-disabled, aria-selected, aria-readonly should
CC> be handled by component. I guess screen readers can also consider
CC> disabled attribute is aria-disabled is not there.

CC> Not sure if from a spec point of view, there should be a concern as
CC> WAI-ARIA is about accessible "rich" internet applications and core
CC> JSF component are basic elements not (tablist, dialog, spinner) so
CC> component libraries should take care of it out of the spec.

This is a great point.

CC> One part spec could handle is aria-live related to ajax updates so
CC> screen reader can jump to update part of the page.

KM> Added a spec issue for this:
KM> http://java.net/jira/browse/JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-1159.

Would it be enough to just add aria-live, aria-relevant, and
aria-describedby attributes to <f:ajax>, passing through their values?

Ed